Before Hiring an Irrigation Contractor

Remember to be very clear as to what you want. Don’t tell the contractor how to do a certain thing, just tell him the result that you expect. You may not know the technicalities of it. If they follow what you say and the result is a disaster, they will end up blaming you for it. So leave that bit up to them, and tell them ‘what’ not ‘how’ you want it done.

Be sure you understand of all the terms the contractor uses. If you don’t understand any, then ask him/her. If you come across a contractor who constantly uses these vague terms then you need to keep looking. Especially terms like ‘full coverage’ and ‘no dry spots’ are often thrown at potential clients. Sometimes what it means could be straightforward, but the implication that it has could be another story altogether. Therefore, watch out for jargon.

The automatic irrigation installation business doesn’t require a lot of capital. There is always a possibility of the contractor running out of cash and ceasing all work. It doesn’t matter how experienced they are or how many days they have been doing the job. You need to be vigilant and aware of all the laws that govern these cases and what to do in such a situation. Don’t run into a loss because of someone else’s situation. As a general rule, do not pay more than 10% of the total cost before any works starts. When the material is brought over and work starts, you can pay another 40% of the cost. The remaining payment should be made only when the job is finished. Always have a signed lien release from the contractor before making 50% of the payment.

If you are hiring a small, unlicensed contractor then you may have to purchase all of the material on your own. Only undertake this if you are sure you understand the materials, measurements and pricing. If you’re willing to take the trouble, then you might save some cost.

The last thing to do is to educate yourself well about irrigation systems and sprinkler systems. The more you know, the more you can protect yourself should you hire an unscrupulous contractor. The most crucial job is yours!

Essential Irrigation Tips

Early Irrigation is Essential

Morning hours offer the ideal time to irrigate lawns. This is because the air is cooler during these hours and there is not much wind, which can cause uneven watering. Landscaping experts recommend anytime between 4 a.m. to 10 a.m. Watering during these hours also provides time for the soil to be soaked adequately and dry out before the morning sun comes out.

The Lawn Should be Evenly Wetted

In this case, it is wise to work with a professional irrigation expert to install and test the sprinkler system. They can ensure that it disperses water evenly. A homeowner can do this on their own this by placing containers around the lawn and turning on the system. After a session of sprinkling, he or she should compare the amount of water in the containers and adjust accordingly if necessary. Even sprinkling helps to save water.

Watering Slowly Helps in Efficient Absorption

The irrigation of grass should be planned in advance. Depending on the size of the lawn, this is a task that may take hours, and it is not wise to quicken the watering process. Irrigation should be done slowly to allow adequate time for absorption, as watering too quickly will cause a run-off. The best way to irrigate a yard is to divide it into sections and sprinkle a section at a time. This method allows water in each area of the yard to settle into the soil.

Regular Sprinkling is Important

During the hot months, it is wise to wet the yard at least once every three days. This provides the roots enough water and healthy conditions for optimal growth, leading to a more stable and nourished lawn. Frequent or daily sprinkling is not advisable as it may inhibit the growth of roots.